“Silverman reminds us that the best tools for connecting to and inspiring our teams are the oldest ones—stories. A customer service story, a story illustrating our history, or a story exhibiting commitment to share goals can inspire more deeply than an directive from on high. Put flesh on the bone. Tell a story.” br>
– Arne M. Sorenson, former chief financial officer, currently president and chief executive officer, Marriott International
Do you wish you could more fully engage your employees? Or reduce turnover by 25 percent or more? Do you need to quickly align staff around the organization’s long-term strategy? Or achieve double-digit growth? Then this groundbreaking book is for you.
Read about real-life examples from over 70 respected organizations small and large, representing a multitude of industries using stories to drive results. Leaders from organizations such as Microsoft, Lands’ End, Verizon, U.S. Air Force, and World Vision demonstrate the strong positive influence stories can have.
“I love the book. Lori Silverman and her contributors have assembled a valuable compendium of information on how and why stories enable transformation and include how to do this in your own organization. My hope is that this book will create a new generation of leaders who will stop numbing people with spreadsheets and pie charts, and start inspiring them with stories that illuminate organizational mission, values, and goals.” br>
– Frank D. Byrne, M.D., president of St. Mary’s Hospital Medical Center, a part of the SSM Health Care system
No abstract theories or platitudes are conveyed here. It spells out how Kevin Roberts, CEO worldwide of Saatchi and Saatchi, achieved sustained sales growth after several mergers and downsizings caused the organization to fall on hard times. And how Erik Shaw, president and CEO of FivePoint Federal Credit Union, overcame resistance to an organizational name change, resulting in membership growth exceeding the national average.
In this hands-on guide, learn how stories can be used to:
- Get employees to take action.
- Accelerate knowledge acquisition and organizational change.
- Solidify individual and team working relationships.
- Provide exceptional customer service.
- Increase the visibility of your organization.
Drawing on interviews with 171 public and private sector leaders, this book goes beyond storytelling to reveal five keys to making stories work for you: how to find existing stories, dig into them to uncover hidden patterns and themes, select those stories that need to be reinforced, craft memorable stories, and embody stories to positively impact people’s attitudes, thoughts and behaviors.
It also includes proven tools and techniques that will help you sharpen these skills.
“If your success as an executive depends upon your ability to engage your people, your leadership and other vital stakeholders, you have to read this book. Using this proven technique will enhance the organization’s success as well your communications and also transcend your activities and ultimate effectiveness. This book is a resource you’ll refer to time and time again.”
– William J. Carbone, CEO, American Association of Physician Specialists & American Board of Physician Specialties
Organizations Featured in the Book
- AARP Services, Inc.
- Alternatives Federal Credit Union
- BMC Software, Inc.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb
- California Department of Social Services
- Cele Peterson’s Fashions
- Cerium Laboratories, LLC
- Chivas Brothers Ltd., a business unit of Pernod Ricard
- CityYear, Inc.
- Development Dimensions International, Inc.
- Endevco Corporation, a Meggitt group company
- Erbert & Gerbert’s Subs & Clubs
- Fisher & Paykel
- FivePoint Federal Credit Union
- Gaylord Hospital
- Gen-I, a subsidiary of Telecom New Zealand
- Ginger Group Collaborative
- Goizueta Business School, Emory University
- Groh Productions and Groh Records
- Hewlett Packard
- i.d.e.a.s. (innovation, design, entertainment, art and storytelling)
- Incredible Pets
- Information Resources, Inc.
- Interface, Inc.
- Interior Health
- Kaiser Permanente
- Kentucky League of Cities and New Cities Institute
- Kimberly-Clark Corporation
- Kimpton Hotel and Restaurant Group, LLC
- Lands’ End
- Levi Strauss & Company
- Lockheed Martin Space Systems Company
- Microsoft Corporation
- Molson Coors Brewing Company
- NASA, Goddard Space Flight Center
- National Speakers Association
- Newark Beth Israel Medical Center
- oneVillage Foundation
- Orlando Regional Healthcare
- Procter & Gamble Company
- RS Information Systems, Inc.
- Rush-Copley Medical Center
- Saatchi & Saatchi
- St. Andrew’s United Church
- Shell Exploration & Production Company
- Society for the Protection and Care of Children
- Spare Key
- State of WI Department of Natural Resources
- That Uppity Theatre Company
- The Asset-Based Community Development Institute
- The United Illuminating Company
- Tutta Bella Neapolitan Pizzeria
- University of North Carolina, Greensboro, The University Speaking Center
- U.S. Air Force
- U.S. Army
- U.S. Department of the Treasury
- U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
- U.S. Geological Survey
- UTSA’s Institute of Texan Cultures
- United Way of York County, PA
- VSM Geneesmiddelen bv (VSM Pharmaceuticals)
- Washington Business Journal
- Washington Mutual
- Winning Ways, Inc.
- World Vision U.S.
- Wyeth Pharmaceuticals
- Madelyn Blair
- Evelyn Clark
- Karen Dietz
- Marcy Fisher
- Alicia Korten
- Denise Lee
- Sylvia L. Lovely
- Michael J. Margolis
- North McKinnon
- Susan J. Moore
- Susan M. Osborn
- Ashraf Ramzy
- Lori Silverman
- Steven N. Silverman
- Susan Stites
- Joanna Truitt
- Jo Tyler